Choosing assets can be one of the most time-consuming aspects of any kind of content creation process. However, when you’re searching for assets to include in your video-based content, it can take even longer.
For example, searching for music that’ll play in the background of your YouTube video or indie film can be excruciating! You have to be careful about infringing existing copyrights, and good luck editing the song if it isn’t the right length. If only there were a tool that could create music for you when you needed it in any style or genre…
Luckily, there are several AI music generator tools can cut down the time you spend looking for music by giving you the tools you need to make your own from scratch.
This article shows you seven of the best AI music generators on the market, so keep reading to learn what they are and how they can help you!
What Is the Best AI Music Generator?
AIVA, Soundraw, Amper Music, and Soundful are the best AI music generators currently available in 2023. These AI-powered tools excel at generating amazing royalty-free music, song modification, and file format downloads.
Additionally, they offer a good selection of prompts to use when instructing their AIs on the type of music you want to make. The said prompts can fuel your creativity by letting you experiment with combining genres, tempos, and moods to create some truly original soundtracks.
Let’s take a closer look at each of these options in more detail.
1. Amper Music – Best Overall
Amper Music (now part of Shutterstock) is one of the most powerful AI music generators on the market.
You can use it to create royalty-free music for your videos and podcasts. Best of all, you can access the software if you have a Shutterstock account already!
Amper Music doubles as audio-editing software – you can add, remove, and edit all the instruments in an entire song. As one of the easiest AI music generators to use, it provides hundreds of thousands of pre-generated tracks to jumpstart your creative process.
- Amper can create music for videos and podcasts in seconds
- You can create audio and MIDI files from scratch or use a recommended playlist as a starting point
- It lets you add, remove, or modify the instruments in a song
- The software relies on custom instrument samples during the music-generation-process
- You get access to 100,000+ exclusive pre-generated tracks
Currently, you can access Amper Music when you subscribe to one of Shutterstock’s price plans.
Amper Music Pros
Amper Music Cons
Amper Music is best for existing Shutterstock users who create video or audio-based content, such as a video for their socials, a podcast, or even an audiobook. They can easily generate AI music or take advantage of over 100,000 existing songs. I think it’s the best overall option for most people for the above reasons!
2. AIVA – Best For Social Media
AIVA simplifies music production with its artificial intelligence-powered algorithms.
Available on Windows, Mac, and Linux, this software is one of the most impressive AI music composers due to its capabilities for creating soundtracks on demand.
AIVA is one of the best AI music generators available from a copyright and licensing standpoint. The software’s Pro plan lets you own music you generate forever, so you can create music without worrying about ownership legalities.
- The software includes preset algorithms that let you compose music in predefined styles
- You own the copyright forever to any track you compose when subscribed to the Pro plan
- AIVA can compose music that shares a similar structure (rhythm, tempo, etc.) to any MIDI file you upload
- This software has a desktop application that’s compatible with the Mac, Windows, and Linux operating systems
- The Pro plan includes full monetization capabilities and the ability to download all file formats
AIVA has three pricing plans for individual users:
- Free plan: Costs $0 and is free forever
- Standard plan: Costs $16.50/€15 a month
- Pro plan: Costs $53.90/€49 a month
Both paid plans are cheaper if you choose to pay annually.
The software also has plans for students/schools and enterprise companies. Contact the sales team for the price.
AIVA is one of the best AI music generators for indie game developers, composers, and novice musicians. Its AI simplifies music creation to just a few clicks, making it excellent for anyone.
3. Soundful – Best For Beginners
Soundful is one of the best AI music generators for producing royalty-free background music for your video-based content.
It provides plenty of creator licenses to help you address copyright concerns, whether you’re using the track in a live broadcast, digital ad, or physical store.
Thanks to a collection of mood and theme templates, you can build tracks quicker with Soundful. Also, when you subscribe to the Enterprise plan, you can monetize and tailor the unique music it produces.
- Soundful can produce audio music files at the click of a button
- The software lets you create and monetize your customized templates
- You get access to a variety of royalty-free music
- Soundful has several mood and theme templates to help you create soundtracks quicker
- It has licenses for different use cases, including YouTube, streaming services, and corporate videos
Soundful has three pricing plans:
- Standard plan: This plan is free forever and suitable for personal projects
- Premium plan: Costs $9.99 a month ($7.42/month when billed annually)
- Enterprise plan: It has a custom price. Contact the Soundful team for its price
Please note that download limits on composed music apply to the free version.
Soundful is best for creators, brands, and music composers. Consider using it to generate original musical compositions that reflect your brand identity. It’s also amazing for non-musicians, as it is so easy to use!
4. Soundraw – Most Adjustable
Soundraw is another incredible AI music generator that leverages machine-learning techniques during the music-making process.
Its AI engine can generate songs on demand, which you can customize to your liking. All its AI-generated music compositions are royalty-free, and you can own the license to them 100%.
You can create any kind of song you can imagine with Soundraw. It lets you give prompts based on the song’s tempo, mood, genre, and theme. Soundraw will work with your prompts and craft wholly-original new melodies and beats in what seems like an instant.
- Soundraw can generate music compositions based on the instructions it’s given
- You can customize the songs generated by Soundraw’s artificial intelligence assistant (shorten intros, rearrange the chorus, etc.)
- The music generated is 100% original, so you don’t have to worry about issues like YouTube copyright strikes
- Soundraw provides “permanent licenses for all creatives,” including web ads and store BGMs
- The software is GDPR-compliant, meaning it won’t share your data with third parties
Soundraw has two pricing plans:
- Free plan: This one is free forever and doesn’t impose any limits on the number of songs you can generate
- Personal plan: It costs $19.99 a month (you’ll need the paid plan to download the music you create)
You can save on two months of subscription payments when you pay for Soundraw annually.
Soundraw is best for experienced musicians who represent brands, video game developers, music producers, or are music enthusiasts. Consider getting this AI tool if you need to create melodies for commercials, BGMs, and podcasts.
5. Amadeus Code – Best For Experienced Musicians
Amadeus Code is an AI-powered creative music assistant that excels at generating music and songs.
Like most AI music generators, it helps you build out songs from scratch based on the prompts you give it. Also, whenever you hit a creative roadblock, Amadeus Code can step in to help you get through.
After you’ve used Amadeus Code to create music, you can easily transfer the MIDI file to your favorite DAW (digital audio workstation) for further work. The best part of this software is that you can pay for the songs you want when you subscribe to its Pay-As-You-Go plan.
- Amadeus Code can generate music for you (or sections of it) with the tap of a button
- You can discover new chord progressions when browsing the app (thanks to new music being added daily)
- Amadeus Code’s music production AI can help your songwriting process by providing inspiration when you’re stuck
- It includes a pay-as-you-go option that lets you “pay for the songs you want to keep”
- You can easily transfer your AI-generated music (MIDI files) to any DAW of your choice
Amadeus Code has four pricing plans:
- Starter plan: It’s the software’s free version and is valid on a trial basis for 14 days
- Pay-As-You-Go plan: It costs $1.99 per song
- Premium plan: It costs $9.99 a month (billed annually)
Amadeus Code Pros
Amadeus Code Cons
Amadeus Code is best for anyone who wants to create their own music on the go. The ease with which it lets you move MIDI files from your phone to your computer is a major draw.
Amadeus Code is also better for experienced musicians than newbies looking for a quick, easy music solution. It’s better as an assistant to a human musician than a stand-alone music generator.
6. MuseNet – Best Free Version
MuseNet is an AI music generator from OpenAI, the company behind ChatGPT (AI for writing) and DALL-E (AI for art and image generation). This AI has trained on music unsupervised and discovered patterns in harmony and rhythm on its own.
MuseNet can generate music based on famous songs and artists like Mozart’s compositions and The Beatle’s music with these capabilities.
Unlike the other music generators on this list, MuseNet is still experimental. You can try the software, but it doesn’t provide any information related to copyrights and licenses.
- MuseNet can compose songs with 4-minute track lengths
- This deep neural network-trained AI can create music using ten instrument types
- The AI has trained on hundreds of thousands of MIDI files and has learned to predict the next token in a composed music sequence
- MuseNet can generate music in several styles, including country music
- This music composer can blend different generational styles in novel and convincing ways
MuseNet is currently free. You can try this powerful AI music composer on OpenAI’s website.
MuseNet is best for people who are new to AI-generated music software. Try it if you want to amuse yourself by creating music industry mash-ups and exciting new melodies.
7. Jukedeck – Best For Tik Tok
Before Jukedeck was acquired by TikTok’s parent company ByteDance, it was an AI music generator by a London-based company.
The software could make custom tracks for a minimal fee, and you could buy the copyright to the music created for a steal.
Jukdeck users can compose songs by giving the AI software prompts related to mood, tempo, and length. You can preview the generated song, modify it where necessary, and download it as an MP3 file. Best of all, every download amounts to a global royalty-free license.
- Jukedeck can compose 100% original music from scratch
- It’s powered by deep neural networks that let it “understand music composition at a granular level”
- You can build songs according to style, mood, tempo, and length, expanding the types of music you can create
- Jukedeck lets you modify your creations and download them as Mp3 files
When Jukedeck first launched, it charged $7 per generated track ($15 for larger businesses). Also, creators could buy the copyright to the music produced for $150. Currently (post-acquisition), there’s no information available about Jukedeck’s pricing.
Jukedeck is best for TikTok users. ByteDance’s acquisition was likely strategic, and the software will possibly feature heavily on its TikTok platform.
What Is an AI Music Generator?
AI music generators are software tools that leverage artificial intelligence to generate unique and royalty-free music tracks. The AIs powering these tools learn how to make music through a technological process called machine learning. When you give them prompts, these tools use what they’ve learned to create songs.
Benefits of Using AI Music Generators
AI music generators provide several benefits that make them essential pieces of technology you can incorporate into your content creation process. The most visible benefits they provide are as follows:
Saves Time and Effort
AI music generators save you time and effort. Rather than sifting through thousands of music tracks, you can give the tool a series of prompts (e.g., tempo, song length, genre, etc.) that help it construct the kind of music you have in mind.
The music generator’s AI will act on your prompts and compose a wholly original track you can include a YouTube video, podcast, or digital ad or use as a BGM in your physical store.
Accessible to Non-Musicians
Before the arrival of these tools, only professionals and music hobbyists could create music from scratch. Other content creators had to search for royalty-free tracks that suited their content or risk infringing other creators’ copyright. In some cases, they’d have no choice but to pay a professional to compose music for them.
AI music generators level the playing field. Now, anyone can create unique compositions for their content without paying high commission fees or worrying about copyright infringement issues.
Allows for Experimentation and Exploration
You can let your imagination run wild when using AI music generators. These tools can blend two genres together, mix current music with classic compositions, and more. You can choose the mood you want, set the song’s tempo, and decide how long you need it to be. This freedom provides plenty of room for experimentation and exploration, which can be rewarding in itself!
Common Questions About AI Music Generators
Can an AI Music Generator Replace Human Composers and Musicians Entirely?
No. Human composers and musicians will always have a place in the music industry. The most AI music generators can do is empower non-professionals to create music for themselves, reducing the reliance on other people’s copyrights and services. Even then, people will still seek out specific musicians for their unique sound and skill.
Are the Generated Music Pieces Truly Original, or Are They Just a Combination of Pre-Existing Music?
AI music generators produce 100% unique musical compositions from scratch. Many of them rely on instrument samples when generating output, so you can rest assured that the music generated is original. These software tools only combine existing tracks when you explicitly instruct them to (e.g., create a song that sounds like Sisqo’s “Unleash the Dragon”).
How Can One Ensure That the Generated Music Is of High Quality and Fits the Desired Mood or Genre?
Specificity is key when using these software tools, as their output is only as good as the inputs you give them. It also helps if you know your onions, i.e., the kind of song you want to compose. While you don’t need to read books on music theory to use these tools, familiarity with concepts like tempo and genre will help you produce a song that matches your needs.
Final Thoughts on AI-Generated Music
AI music generators save content creators time and energy they’d otherwise spend searching for royalty-free songs to use in their videos.
You don’t need music composition skills or knowledge to use them, making these tools accessible to just about anyone. Plus, they reduce the music creation process to a few button clicks, generating original songs within minutes.
The tools mentioned in this article are some of the best ones available. Consider incorporating them in your content creation process the next time you need royalty-free tracks.
Interested in AI content for creatives? Check out these other great articles: