You’re sitting down watching the footage you’ve been shooting over the weekend, and it hits you that the background noise is taking the attention away from your main subject.
Luckily, you don’t have to start over and shoot everything from scratch, as you can use post-production tools to create polished videos with virtual backgrounds that better fit your scene direction.
Follow along as we explore some of the best video background remover apps that can completely transform how you create and edit video content!
Adobe After Effects
Adobe After Effects is my top overall choice for video background removal.
Its advanced masking tools can track and remove moving objects from complicated backgrounds. It also integrates seamlessly with other Adobe software products.
Movavi Video Editor Plus
This is my top choice for beginners as it has intuitive tools that make removing the background from any video easy.
Its extensive library of effects, filters, and transitions is a great starting point for beginners who want to experiment with their videos.
Corel VideoStudio Pro
Corel VideoStudio Pro is fantastic because it offers a one-time purchase option, unlike other programs that require monthly subscriptions!
Its advanced chroma key tools make removing backgrounds easy, and it’s very affordable!
This is the best budget-friendly software for video background removal because it is powerful yet affordable!
It is easy to use and has advanced chroma key tools to allow users to create high-quality videos without spending a fortune.
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Premiere Pro is the best premium software program as it is expensive, but works great for removing backgrounds!
It integrates well with other Adobe products and it can help with many video editing tasks. It’s ideal for professionals and serious video editors.
What Are the Best Video Background Remover Tools?
Filmmakers have more tools than ever to create stunning videos.
1. Adobe After Effects
If you want to up your visual effects (VFX) game, Adobe After Effects offers an expansive digital assets library to set you on the right track.
And that’s not all, as the software has an efficient rendering pipeline that cuts the wait time when removing video backgrounds.
- Adobe After Effects allows you to add background music to your video clips.
- The software offers professional video editing tools to configure key video frames and ensure the new background blends seamlessly into the scene.
- The VFX tool makes it easy to manage digital assets. This is key, especially when working on complex projects with numerous visual effects scenes.
- Adobe adds collaborative tools to deliver the best video editing experience for teams.
If you’re only interested in the background remover tool, you can sign up for Adobe After Effects for $20.99 per month. You can unlock Adobe’s entire Creative Cloud suite for $54.99 per month to access Illustrator, Premiere Pro, and Photoshop.
Adobe After Effects Pros
Adobe After Effects Cons
Adobe After Effects allows you to change the video background if you have footage shot on a green or blue screen. In addition to covering your basic video editing needs, After Effects is unrivaled when it comes to working with VFX assets.
2. Movavi Video Editor Plus
Movavi Video Editor Plus offers preset templates for birthday, vacation, and holiday videos. Such a pick-and-play design makes the app accessible to people with zero video experience.
Movavi also allows you to adjust your video’s background image by clicking the Picture In Picture prompt.
- Movavi offers green screen tools to adjust your background video footage effortlessly.
- The video background remover works to remove any artifacts from your video clip, like shaky camera work and lens imperfections.
- You get to choose from various preset transitions, animations, and fonts to create stunning video effects.
Movavi Video Editor offers a free version with some basic features to get you started. For more advanced features like chroma keying, you could pay $54.95 for a one-year subscription. Movavi offers bundles with extra effect packs to ensure you’re only paying for the features you need.
The newest update to Movavi Video Editor has introduced some new user-friendly and advanced features! The best improvements include a streamlined timeline, a frame-precise cutting tool, professional color correction, AI-powered motion tracking, and versatile overlay effects with 13 blending modes.
Movavi Video Editor Plus Pros
Movavi Video Editor Plus Cons
If you’re looking for a beginner-friendly tool to help you create transparent backgrounds, Movavi Video Editor Plus is the way to go. The video editor offers a multi-color chroma key to control post-production composition and image layering.
3. Corel VideoStudio Pro
In addition to creating transparent video backgrounds, Coral VideoStudio Pro comes with handy capabilities that hobbyists and professional filmmakers can appreciate.
It allows for multi-camera editing, smooth lens transitions, and face indexing for enhancing facial features.
- The video background remover allows media tagging to manage your files better when working on a large project.
- The software offers powerful audio editing tools through its enhanced waveform panel.
- Coral VideoStudio Pro supports 4K Ultra HD footage for crisp video quality.
- The video editor offers best-in-class tools for editing VR content and 360-degree video clips.
What sets Coral VideoStudio Pro apart from other video editors is that it offers a lifetime license starting from $79.99. This means once you purchase the software, you truly own it and won’t have to be stuck in a subscription model.
Corel VideoStudio Pro Pros
Corel VideoStudio Pro Cons
If you’re looking for a feature-packed video background remover, you’ll be pleased with what Coral VideoStudio Pro offers. The video editor has dedicated tools for green screen footage, ensuring the superimposed edges are as smooth as possible.
4. Wondershare Filmora
Wondershare Filmora takes advantage of its machine learning models to remove video backgrounds even without the need for filming the footage using a green screen.
You can also create a black background by adjusting the video’s chroma key, and the best part is that the app is super responsive and doesn’t take forever to render the results.
- Offers a variety of video effects.
- Allows you to share your videos to social media platforms directly.
- Supports motion tracking while retaining an impressively fast rendering speed.
Wondershare Filmora delivers the best of both worlds with its pricing strategy, as you can buy a permanent license for $79.99 or go for an annual subscription plan for $59.99.
Wondershare Filmora Pros
Wondershare Filmora Cons
If rendering speed is your priority, Wondershare Filmora is the video background remover for you. This AI video editing software offers advanced chroma key features to remove the background from video without the need for a green or blue screen.
Compared to other video background removers, Wondershare Filmora offers the most bang for your buck.
5. Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Premiere Pro has set the industry standard for the best video editing software. Since the ultra-key effect has been added, it streamlined the process of working with a green-screen video.
You can crop and scale your subject and adjust the suppression scales to ensure the background feels natural and you don’t end up with the uncanny green screen effect.
- Allows you to edit spacial audio clips for more immersive VR content.
- It offers a VR rotate sphere to change the camera angle and the video perspective of your 3D-shot footage.
- Adobe Premiere Pro offers a user-friendly interface that is built around efficiency and maximum productivity.
- Enables hassle-free editing as you can run multiple projects simultaneously and drag footage from one to the other seamlessly.
In terms of pricing, Premiere Pro starts at $20.99 per month for individuals. And Adobe also offers special prices for businesses and enterprises, ensuring that video editing software remains feasible for large teams.
Adobe Premiere Pro Pros
Adobe Premiere Pro Cons
Adobe has become a powerhouse in the creative community with its suite of apps, and Premier Pro is arguably the company’s golden goose. The chroma key allows for an effortless blend of two video streams, giving you flexibility when it comes to changing your video’s background image.
6. Camtasia Studio
Creating video tutorials has never been easier, thanks to Camtasia Studio.
The video editing software offers unlimited recording time and allows you to import your PowerPoint presentations or video snippets into your current project.
- The screen recording feature allows you to create professional-looking video demonstrations without previous video editing experience.
- Provides a huge library of royalty-free music and audio.
- Under the Visual Effects menu, you can find the option to remove the background from a video.
The Camtasia all-in-one screen recorder comes with an annual subscription of $299.99 per year. The video editing software developed by TechSmith is compatible with both Windows and MacOS.
Camtasia Studio Pros
Camtasia Studio Cons
If you’re an educator, instructional designer, or marketer looking for a professional video editor, Camtasia Studio is built specifically for you. The screen recording covers your camera, microphone, system audio, and cursor data providing an encompassing experience.
7. Shutterstock Editor (Create App)
Shutterstock Editor is a specialized photo and video editing app that provides powerful tools to control the transparency of your digital canvas.
You can adjust the chroma key and change the background color for keyframes to use in your videos.
- Offers templates for PowerPoint presentations, posts for social media platforms, and business cards.
- The software creates images with a transparent background providing more flexibility in integrating such digital artwork into your videos.
- Provides different sliders for brightness, blur, color saturation, and more.
- Offers a massive royalty-free library of 4K video files.
Shutterstock Editor is a free software that allows you to discover a stock library without spending a dime. But if you want to unlock the app’s full potential, you can try the paid premium subscription for $29 per month and start working with 3D models, edit audio files using PremiumBeat, and generate AI images in seconds.
Shutterstock Editor Pros
Shutterstock Editor Cons
If you’re looking for a free tool to edit your video’s keyframes, Shutterstock Editor (Create App) has got you covered. The software offers tools that enable chroma key adjustment while being completely free!
8. Final Cut Pro
If you’re a Mac user, relying on Final Cut Pro for your video background removal needs is a no-brainer.
Given the fact that Apple builds Final Cut Pro, the video editor is optimized to make the most of your Mac computer in terms of rendering speed, battery efficiency, and file organization.
- Comes with a number of built-in virtual backgrounds.
- The video editing tools are accessible to hobbyists while offering depth for professionals who dig beneath the surface.
- It offers video effects and allows for multi-camera footage editing.
Final Cut Pro can be pricey, especially since you’ll spend $299.99 upfront. Nevertheless, you’re getting a permanent license that you can transfer to your new devices down the line.
Final Cut Pro Pros
Final Cut Pro Cons
It’s not a stretch to say that Apple delivers the best video background remover for Mac users with its Final Cut Pro. Optimization is critical here; you won’t find third-party software that integrates with MacOS.
9. VSDC Video Editor
We’ll wrap up our list with one of the best free video background removers that offer reliable chroma key masking.
Such a feature allows VSDC Video Editor to detect solid gradient backgrounds and remove the green screen in no time.
- Offers subpixel support to ensure you’re getting well-defined subject outlines.
- The chroma key automatically detects the solid color background and lets you change the video background with just a click of a button.
- Allows you to add video footage directly to your social media platforms without leaving the app.
MacOS and Windows users can enjoy the powerful background removal features without paying a dime. VSDC‘s chroma key ensures you get a suitable image for your video with minimal video editing skills required. There is also a paid version with additional features.
VSDC Video Editor Pros
VSDC Video Editor Cons
If you’re looking for a well-rounded free video background remover, VSDC should be on your radar. The free video editor allows for accurate background removal thanks to its subpixel support and reliable chroma key features.
10. Pinnacle Studio
Professional video editing software usually comes with a steep learning curve.
But this isn’t the case with Pinnacle Studio, as the video background remover provides fully-fledged masking tools that never feel too overwhelming.
- Pinnacle Studio supports 360-degree content and allows for editing VR videos.
- It offers a clean interface with no clutter to streamline your workflow.
- It allows for multi-camera editing to make your videos feel more dynamic.
You can secure your Pinnacle Studio license for only $59.99, an excellent deal as you won’t have to worry about recurring subscription fees.
Pinnacle Studio Pros
Pinnacle Studio Cons
If you’re looking for a beginner-friendly video background remover that doesn’t compromise in terms of advanced features, Pinnacle Studio is our pick for you.
The video editor is backed up by an active community that posts tutorials and responds to forum inquiries making it easier for newcomers to up their video-editing game.
You don’t need a capable machine with tons of processing power to remove backgrounds from videos with Unscreen, as the cloud powers it.
All you need to do is upload your footage to the video background remover online and get your transparent video in a matter of seconds.
- Supports MP4, MOV, WEBM, and GIF formats.
- You can remove video backgrounds with just a few clicks, making it a powerful tool for people with zero video editing knowledge.
- You can get started right away with no registration required.
Unscreen charges you $4.99 per video, which removes the commitment of purchasing an expensive license or holding on to a subscription when you no longer need to remove background from video. Though they also have different subscription plans based on usage. There is a free plan that includes up to 5 seconds of video – you’ll need the pro version for longer video clips.
Being an online video background remover makes Unscreen easily accessible. Once you upload your footage, you can choose from various background options and see a preview in real-time. And once you’re satisfied with the results, click the video download button, and you’re good to go.
What Are Video Background Remover Tools?
A video background remover app allows you to highlight the main subjects in your video and separate the foreground from the background.
The software creates a transparent background using the chroma key or AI algorithms. This way, you can add your new image to the existing footage without doing time-consuming reshoots.
Common Questions About Background Removers
Is There a Background Remover for Videos?
Yes! We’ve already walked you through the best options to remove the background from a video. Such tools can range from a dedicated video background remover or a fully-fledged video editing software that offers video background removal functionality.
How Can I Remove the Background of a Video for Free?
Simply opt for a free video background remover tool like Unscreen or VSDC to strip the main subjects of your video from the background. And since the cloud powers some tools, you won’t have to install specialized software on your computer or need lots of processing power to do the job.
How Do You Remove the Background from Video Footage Without a Green Screen?
You can use one of the AI-powered video background remover apps to remove the background of your video without a green screen. Such machine learning software is trained on thousands of videos to distinguish the foreground from the background better.
How to Remove Background from Video Using Chroma Key?
While scrubbing through the timeline of your video editor of choice, click the chroma key from the toolbar. Then move your cursor to pick the solid background color gradient you want to remove. You can change the cursor’s area for more precise results.
Final Thoughts on Video Background Remover Tools
Video background removers allow you to create a new look for your existing clips. Final Cut delivers the best tools for MacOS users, while Adobe Premiere Pro has set the industry standard for video editing tools in the film industry.
If you’re a hobbyist working on a one-time side project, you don’t need to drop big bucks on such juggernauts. You can find a reliable free video editor like Unscreen to remove the background from your video using machine learning models.
Interested in video editing? Check out these other great articles: