Did you know humans have shorter attention spans than goldfish? It shouldn’t be surprising, considering the little guys can’t use social media.
Still, that’s cause for concern if you have an audience whose attention you’re fighting for.
Luckily, there are many ways to grab and hold people’s attention, and one particularly fun way is to share information through whiteboard animations.
We’re going to look at 15+ of the best whiteboard animation software applications in 2023. Read on to learn what those are!
What Are the Best Whiteboard Animation Software Tools?
1. VideoScribe – Best Overall
VideoScribe is a beginner-friendly whiteboard animation software that helps you create animated videos.
It offers a straightforward drag-and-drop workflow that beginners and professionals will find appealing.
A VideoScribe subscription gives access to the software’s library of professional-quality animated videos and gift templates. This template library halves the time it normally takes to create a PowerPoint presentation or a marketing video, meaning you’ll be done in minutes and not hours.
- You can use VideoScribe’s library of over 11,000 images and GIFs to create your whiteboard videos.
- VideoScribe offers a diverse range of drawing hands and writing utensils, meaning you can customize your explainer to fit your audience.
- This whiteboard animation software provides effects and animation options like morphs and fade-ins to make the videos more engaging.
- You can access a library of 190+ royalty-free music tracks and voice-over recordings.
- Thanks to its excellent range of canvas sizes, you can make a whiteboard animation for a website or social media platform.
VideoScribe has three plans:
- Annual Plan: VideoScribe’s annual plan costs $15.42. You can save 64% on what you’d pay for the monthly plan.
- Monthly Plan: This pricing tier costs $43.
- Team Plan: VideoScribe doesn’t provide pricing information on its website for the Team plan. You can contact its team and get a discounted team subscription.
You can try VideoScribe free for seven days. You don’t have to register or leave your credit card details to access the free trial.
VideoScribe is best for small and medium businesses, not-for-profit organizations, educators, content creators, and marketers. The software offers an affordable way to create whiteboard animation videos and will save you time.
2. Animaker – Best For Beginners
Animaker is an award-winning whiteboard animation software “for beginners, non-designers, and professionals.”
It’s useful for creating whiteboard animation videos and has been used by more than eighteen million users. Major brands like Target and Visa have leveraged it to create whiteboard animations for their businesses.
This excellent whiteboard animation software can also make live-action videos.
Due to its ease of use, you can go from having no experience to creating professional whiteboard animation videos in just a few clicks. And with tools like a character builder and its drag-and-drop workflow, you can unleash your creativity while wowing your audience.
- Its drag-and-drop workflow helps beginners create videos even without technical skills.
- Animaker offers a library of over 100 million royalty-free stock images and stock videos you can include in your animated explainer videos.
- It provides over 1,000 templates to help you create professional videos and edit videos quicker.
- The software’s Character Builder lets you create billions of cartoon characters for your whiteboard animations.
- Animaker supports 4K video edits and offers instant video resizes for social media platforms.
Animaker has four plans:
- Basic Plan: This tier costs $20/month (only $10 if you pay annually).
- Starter Plan: It costs $35/month ($19/month annually).
- Pro Plan: Animaker’s Pro plan costs $79/month ($49/month annually).
- Enterprise Plan: The Enterprise plan has a custom price. Contact the Animaker team for more details.
The software also has special prices for students and not-for-profit organizations. You can contact the Animaker support team to find out more.
Animaker is best for entrepreneurs, content marketers, classroom storytellers, and hobbyists.
The software offers many features that let anyone create professional-looking videos (animation or live-action), and its support for HD videos is the icing on the cake.
3. Adobe Animate CC – Best For Professionals
Adobe Animate CC is Adobe’s animation software, developed by the company that created Photoshop and Illustrator.
You can use it to create animations for games, banners, cartoons, whiteboard presentations – just about any kind of animated video you can dream up. The software supports publishing to any platform, allowing you to reach audiences on any screen.
This Adobe software has a higher learning curve when compared to the others discussed in this article. Therefore, it isn’t the quickest way to start creating whiteboard videos.
That said, putting in the effort to learn it will pay dividends long term as it’s an incredibly powerful software (like Adobe’s other products).
- Adobe Animate CC publishes videos to different platforms, including HTML 5 Canvas.
- The software can create different animations (e.g., for games and whiteboard videos).
- A subscription provides access to Adobe’s creative cloud library of stock image and stock video footage assets.
- It supports quick-sharing to social media platforms like YouTube and Twitter.
- Adobe Animate CC provides video tutorials to help new users get accustomed to the software as quickly as possible.
Adobe Animate CC costs $20.99 a month when you subscribe to it without paying for the other products in Adobe’s suite.
Adobe Animate Pros
Adobe Animate Cons
Adobe Animate CC is best for professional animators and companies that can afford to hire them. Its powerful capabilities mean it has a higher learning curve than most whiteboard explainer video software options.
4. Moovly – Best For Small Businesses
Moovly offers a customizable video creation platform for businesses of all sizes.
This professional whiteboard animation software can create several styles of videos, including motion graphics, cartoons, or doodle animation moving pictures. If you don’t want to create videos from scratch, you can access hundreds of customizable video templates to get a headstart.
This whiteboard animation software supports collaboration. You can invite your coworkers to leave time-stamped comments on your videos, which is an excellent feature that enables collaboration between company departments.
Equally impressive is its voice-over technology, which provides hundreds of artificial voices and automatically generated subtitles.
- Moovly can create amazing videos in multiple styles (e.g., footage-based videos).
- Its support for remote collaboration means you can receive feedback from colleagues on your projects.
- The online tool can create videos “in any shape,” meaning you can make videos destined for social media feeds, websites, etc.
- Its text-to-voice feature lets you convert text into voice-over with a button click (available in over 20 languages!).
- Moovly supports multiple languages and automatic translations. It provides animation transitions, animated text, and more.
- This top whiteboard animation software works great for animated presentations, video marketing, promotional videos, and business videos.
Moovly has Individual, Education, and Enterprise plans:
- Individual Plans: Its Pro and Max pricing tiers cost $33.25 and $49.92, respectively, while the Enterprise plan has a custom price.
- Education Plans: There’s an Edu Pro plan ($24.95/month), an Edu Max plan ($49.95), and two free plans.
- Enterprise Plans: There’s no set price for the enterprise plans, but you can calculate your price based on the number of users you’ll be working with.
The software also has an ‘automated videos’ feature.
Moovly is best for SMEs, agencies, and educators. It offers those users all the tools they need to create stunning animated videos.
5. Vyond – Best For Explainer Videos
Vyond is one of the best whiteboard animation software programs for creating educational and training videos.
It’s aimed at three company departments: sales, marketing, and HR. In addition, it’s an excellent software for making internal communications videos that inform staff and stakeholders.
Thanks to a huge template library, you can quickly create AI generated animations with this whiteboard animation software tool. It can create short films that feature graphs, charts, and other visual props that clearly communicate your message.
- Vyond offers a huge template library that makes creating visually appealing videos quick and straightforward.
- The software helps you boost viewer engagement with assets like GIFs.
- This whiteboard software can create videos that distributed teams can access from anywhere.
- The software is GDPR-compliant, meaning it won’t pass on customer data to third parties.
- Its Vyond Maker Community provides a hub to meet and converse with other users.
Vyond offers free and paid plans:
- Essential Plan: The Essential plan costs $49 per month for a single user (or $25/per month annually).
- Premium Plan: This plan costs $89 per month – single user (or $54/per month annually).
- Professional Plan: It costs $179 per month per user (or $92/per month annually).
- Enterprise Plan: Contact the Vyond team for its price.
Vyond is best for traditional SMEs and fully-remote companies with distributed workforces. Agencies, affiliate marketers, and resellers will also gain from using this amazing whiteboard animation software to create their promotional and explainer videos.
6. Camtasia – Best For Marketers
Camtasia is a fantastic software for creating high quality videos.
You can use it to kick your videos up a notch with amazing effects. Since it’s easy to use, you can put together videos quickly whether you use its free version or pay for the software.
If you need voice-overs for your videos, Camtasia’s Audiate feature makes creating those easy enough.
The software offers hundreds of templates for beginners and professionals struggling with creative blocks. And it supports screen sharing.
- Camtasia provides hundreds of text effects, templates, and assets to help you start using your video editing skills for creating engaging video productions.
- Its cursor effect helps you grab and hold your audience’s attention during video presentations.
- This video editing software boasts the world’s most powerful screen recorder, providing high-quality screen capture and crisp audio files.
- Amazing effects help make your videos more engaging.
- Its Audiate feature lets you complete your video projects close to 40% faster than is typical of such workflows.
Camtasia has four plans:
- Individual Plan: This plan costs $199.99 per user.
- Business Plan: The Business plan starts at $199.99 per user. Its pricing depends on the number of users (for example, when you pay for five to nine users, it costs $286.85 per user).
- Education Plan: It starts at $141.99 per user, and, like the Business plan, its cost depends on the number of users.
- Government and Non-Profit Plan: These plans start at $179.32 (and accommodate one to four users).
All plans include a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Camtasia is best for educators, marketers (especially those in the tech industry), and instructional designers. This software is trusted by four Big Tech companies (Apple, Google, Microsoft, and Amazon), so you’ll be in good company if you decide to use it.
7. Mango Animate – Good for Hobbyists
Mango Animate is an animation video maker. It helps make explainer videos, whiteboard videos, training videos, and more. The software has a template library filled with pre-built templates that speed up the creation process.
It provides hundreds of animation and transition effects to liven up your video clips and keep your audience engaged.
In addition, this affordable whiteboard animation software has a media library with hundreds of characters, icons, and more. You can include these assets in your videos and let Mango Animate’s extensive selection of hand types (female, male, and diverse ethnicities) animate them.
- It has an intuitive user interface that makes it easy to use.
- Its huge library of templates helps to speed up your creative process.
- The software supports custom voice-overs, and you can record them directly in Mango Animate.
- The multi-timeline editing feature makes customizing animations, characters, effects, and the like smoother.
- Mango Animate provides several hands from different ethnicities and genders for your whiteboard animation video.
Mango Animate’s Whiteboard Animation Maker costs $39.99. This is a one-time payment, as you can download the software to both your Windows and Mac computer.
The Whiteboard Animation Maker is one of many Mango Animate products, and you might want to consider purchasing it with a related product. For example, Mango Animate offers a Character Maker for $139.99, which can be helpful for white labeling your videos.
Mango Animate sells its software in bundles of two, three, and four.
Mango Animate Pros
Mango Animate Cons
Mango Animate is best for hobbyists and newer small businesses. The fact that it offers the option of buying an individual license outright makes it one of the most cost-effective whiteboard software options on this list.
8. Explaindio Video Creator – Good For Newbies
Explaindio Video Creator aims to be user-friendly and accessible to all business types.
This software is essential for making explainer videos, whiteboard sketches, video presentations, and more, and it provides all the tools for video creation in a single package.
Some of Explaindio Video Creator’s key features include a template library of 200+ background assets and animated scenes, a font library of 300+ fonts, 20 royalty-free music tracks, and a graphics library.
- It has a template library with over 200 templates.
- Explaindio Video Creator offers a beginner-friendly user interface that’s intuitive.
- Users own all copyrights to the videos they make with Explaindio Video Creator.
- This online tool provides access to a font library with over 300 fonts you can include in your videos to grab your viewers’ attention.
- The software has a drag-and-drop editor that provides 500 drawn characters and objects for your video presentations and whiteboard animations.
Explaindio Video Creator costs a one-time fee of $47. Purchasing the software gives you lifetime access as well as a full year of support and access to free software updates.
Explaindio Video Creator Pros
Explaindio Video Creator Cons
Explaindio Video Creator is best for hobbyists and small businesses. Thanks to its affordable price, it’s an excellent gateway whiteboard animation software for users new to creating these kinds of videos.
9. PowToon – Best For Educators
PowToon is a free or paid whiteboard animation software that aims to simplify the creation process for corporate video presentations and educational videos.
It’s excellent for making training videos, internal communications, and more. Fortune 500 companies like IBM, Unilever, and Cisco use it to create whiteboard animations for internal consumption.
This software provides access to hundreds of professionally-designed video templates that speed up the creation process. Its user interface is straightforward, so users of all skill levels can create videos in minutes. And it offers a free Video Maker that you can use to try the software before your buy.
- Its user interface is easy to figure out and removes barriers to video creation.
- Powtoon is a free whiteboard animation software for beginners.
- The software offers hundreds of ready-made video animation templates that help speed up user workflows.
- PowToon customers can design custom characters that fit their brand message (Business and Enterprise plan only).
- It has capabilities for screen and webcam recording.
- PowToon provides ample user support through webinars, customer support, and a training center.
Powtoon has three price plans:
- Lite Plan: The Lite plan costs $50/month (or $15 if you pay yearly).
- Professional Plan: The Professional plan costs $190/month (or only $40 if you pay yearly!).
- Business Plan: The Business plan costs $125/month but is only billed annually.
PowToon also has Enterprise plans. Contact the PowToons team for their prices.
PowToon is best for large organizations, educational institutions, and startups.
Its focus on being a visual communication platform means it’d work best for educating or motivating employees. That said, it’s intuitive enough that just about anyone can use this software.
10. Animatron Studio – Good for Social Media Videos
Animatron Studio is an online video maker that excels at making explainer videos, whiteboard animations, and more. It has a simple drag-and-drop editor that makes it an approachable application and provides plenty of customization options.
Businesses of all sizes can look forward to a huge library of image and video assets, video templates, and collaborative features.
- Huge template library.
- It supports real-time collaboration.
- Over 200 pre-made drag-and-drop animated sets.
- It has built-in voice-over capabilities.
- Export your files to formats like GIF, PNG, and JPEG.
Animatron Studio has three plans:
- A free plan.
- Pro Plan: It costs $15/month.
- Business Plan: It costs $30/month.
Animatron Studio’s paid plans are billed annually.
Animatron Studio Pros
Animatron Studio Cons
Animatron is best for startups, businesses, and animators. Individuals will also find it helpful to create videos for their YouTube channels and social media accounts.
11. Doodly – Easiest to Use
Doodly is one of the best whiteboard animation software programs for simplicity. Regardless of skill level or experience, anyone can use it to create unlimited whiteboard animations.
Making videos is as straightforward as selecting an image and clicking and dragging it onto the canvas. Doodly will do the rest!
In addition, you’re not limited to the built-in images Doodly provides. It features Smart Draw technology that lets you import your own images and use them in your videos.
The software will pinpoint the images and create custom paths around their edges, allowing for greater customization of how your whiteboard animation video looks.
- Doodly offers a range of drawing hand types with different genders and ethnicities.
- It supports the recording of custom voice-overs directly in Doodly and even automatically syncs the audio files to the sketch.
- Doodly includes hundreds of royalty-free audio tracks to use as background music for your whiteboard animation videos.
- You can use your own images and custom drawings in your whiteboard animations with Doodly’s Smart Draw technology.
- The videos export in formats like MP4 and up to 1080p HD.
Doodly has two plans:
- Standard Plan: This plan costs $49/month.
- Enterprise Plan: This plan costs $79/month.
You can try both plans for free.
Doodly is best for educators, marketers, hobbyists, and small businesses. Its powerful features provide a straightforward and fun way to create educational videos that students will want to watch!
12. Easy Sketch Pro 3.0 – Budget Lifetime License
Easy Sketch Pro 3 provides powerful tools for creating engaging whiteboard animation videos.
Its uncomplicated video editor makes it accessible to all users, and it has hundreds of ready-made templates and preset videos that speed up the creative process and provide an easier workflow.
One advantage Easy Sketch Pro has over its competition is its business model. Rather than selling its software as a service, users can buy a license that lets them use it for life. This arrangement lets users who are on a budget get a whiteboard animation application without breaking the bank.
- It has an uncomplicated user interface.
- Easy Sketch Pro provides hundreds of ready-made templates and assets for video creation.
- The software supports several export formats (e.g., MP4).
- Easy Sketch Pro is YouTube-friendly (you can size videos to fit that platform).
- It’s license-based as opposed to subscription-based.
Easy Sketch Pro 3 has three license plans:
- Starter License: This plan costs $37.
- Business License: It costs $67.
- Business Pro License: This one costs $97.
The Starter license features the Eask Sketch Pro logo on your videos. You can get rid of this watermark by upgrading to a Business or Business Pro license.
Easy Sketch Pro Pros
Easy Sketch Pro Cons
Easy Sketch Pro 3 is best for small businesses, marketing professionals, and hobbyists. These target groups will find the software’s licensing model appealing since it provides cost savings (in comparison to subscription-based models).
13. RawShorts – AI-Powered Animation
RawShorts is an AI-powered whiteboard animation software application that lets you transform your text into animated shorts.
The software’s machine learning algorithm scans uploaded video scripts and identifies the main concepts of the video’s storyboard. Once it knows what the video is about, it assembles image assets that fit the script and generates a voice-over for it.
RawShorts has an animated video maker that makes creating videos as convenient as dragging and dropping elements on the screen. And with a media library that contains millions of commercially-licensed assets, RawShorts provides everything you need to create awesome explainer videos.
- Its AI-powered text-to-animation algorithm lets you turn your video scripts into animations.
- The easy-to-use editing tools let you assemble videos in no time at all.
- It includes a media library with millions of creative commons and commercially-licensed video assets.
- RawShorts has a variety of templates for several video types (explainers, etc.).
- You can turn spreadsheets into videos.
RawShorts has three pricing plans:
- Starter Plan: The Starter plan is free.
- Essential Plan: RawShort’s essential plan costs $25/month.
- Business Plan: The Business plan costs $45/month.
If you need a smaller plan, you can purchase credits on demand through RawShort’s Pay per Export plans, which start at $5 per video export.
RawShorts is best for businesses and individuals who want to leverage the power of AI when creating their videos. The software does all the work so you don’t have to, and it produces excellent results.
14. Biteable – Best For Teams
Biteable helps companies make on-brand impactful videos aimed at their customers and employees.
It includes features like the ability to “type your video,” remote collaboration capabilities, and convenient video sharing for distributed teams.
This software is also excellent for marketers because it has built-in engagement analytics that provide insight into how your viewers interact with the videos you share. Meanwhile, its animated templates mean anyone can use it to make whiteboard animation videos.
- Single-click on-brand videos.
- The software’s script mode can turn text into videos.
- It has analytics that provides insights into the videos you share.
- Its powerful publishing tools give your videos more reach.
- Biteable has pre-built video templates that speed up the creation process.
Biteable has two plans:
- Pro Plan: It costs $99/month (or $49 if you pay yearly).
- Teams Plan: It costs $199/month (or $99 if you pay yearly).
You can add additional members to the Teams plan at $33 per new member.
Biteable is best for SMEs and marketers. The latter category of users will find its analytics tools particularly appealing.
15. VideoMakerFX – Good for Online Marketers on a Budget
VideoMakerFX is an online tool for animation creation with plenty of tools for making engaging videos.
It doesn’t put any restrictions on your ability to make videos (like watermarks), and it has multiple applications. You can make business presentation videos, explainers, whiteboard animations, educational presentations, and more.
This software is easy to use. For example, its text-to-video whiteboard animation feature transforms your text into a compelling video presentation. Also, its huge collection of assets (fonts, pictures, videos, music) will fuel your creativity and help you make the best videos possible.
- It’s easy to use.
- VideoMakerFX includes royalty-free music tracks.
- It has a huge library of backgrounds and images.
- The license includes one year of support and updates.
- Compatible with Windows and Mac.
VideoMakerFX costs $27. This lifetime license includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
VideoMakerFX is best for online marketers on a budget. Consider getting it if you want to create whiteboard-style videos with a promotional slant.
16. Simpleshow – Best For Branding
Simpleshow can help you make animated videos in minutes. It’s one of the best whiteboard animation software applications to create animated videos, slide shows, and more, and companies like BMW, eBay, and T-Mobile use it.
The software’s notable features are text-to-video, artificial intelligence (via its Explainer Engine), a template library, and customization options for branded videos.
- Explainer engine for AI-powered video creation.
- The Smart Languages feature lets you script your video in up to 20 languages.
- It supports recorded voice-overs (so you can use your own voice) and provides a collection of AI voices.
- Simpleshow accommodates team collaboration (select plans only).
Simpleshow has three plans:
- Business Plan: It costs $129/month.
- Pro Plan: It costs $499/month.
- Enterprise Plan: There’s no pricing information available on the website for this plan. Contact the team for a quote.
Both the Business and Pro plans include significant discounts when you pay annually.
Simpleshow is best for SMEs and educators. The fact that the software lets you brand your videos is a nice touch that companies will appreciate.
What Are Animated Whiteboard Videos?
These videos use a combination of drawings, photographs, effects, and text to educate an audience in video format. They usually feature a voice-over and cartoon characters to communicate the concepts the presenter or creator wants to share with the audience.
What Should I Look For In an Animated Whiteboard Video?
When choosing an animated whiteboard video software, consider the following factors to make an informed purchasing decision:
Quality AI Voice-Overs
Videos aren’t complete without voice-overs. Still, not everyone has a voice for radio. If you’re not feeling confident about your vocal skills, choose a whiteboard animation software that has decent-sounding artificial intelligence-powered voice-overs.
You can do some fantastic things with whiteboard animation video makers, but that doesn’t mean it should be complicated.
In reality, most applications in this category pride themselves on being user-friendly. Yours shouldn’t be any different, and its ease of use begins with a straightforward user interface that puts all the features and functions at your fingertips.
Variety of Styles
Depending on your audience, you’ll want an option that creates animated videos in various animation styles (i.e., doodle sketch videos, professional animated videos, etc.). Excellent options let you create videos for casual or corporate audiences.
Ability to Customize Content
Customizability is essential when making whiteboard animations because it lets you make on-brand animations. Therefore, prioritize a software option that lets you customize content.
Animation Speed Control
Finally, your chosen whiteboard software should include the option to adjust the animation speed to your liking. This capability lets you make your videos more engaging.
You’ll want to take a look at the cost of each program. Most whiteboard animation software programs have a cost ranging from about $15 per month to over $200 per month for business use! Buy a program with all the features you need at the price point you can afford.
If you need some tips for creating a whiteboard video, click to check out my article all about how to create a whiteboard video!
Common Questions About Whiteboard Animation Videos
Which Is the Best Software for Whiteboard Animation?
VideoScribe is the best software available for creating compelling whiteboard animation videos.
Which Is Better, VideoScribe or Doodly?
Both software applications have their strengths. However, in a competition for the breadth of features, VideoScribe will take the prize.
How Can I Make a Whiteboard Animation for Free?
Many whiteboard animation software programs have free versions for creating videos (for example, Camtasia). Remember that you’ll need to upgrade to a paid plan to use their full suite of features.
What Is the Best Whiteboard Animation Software for Beginners, and Why?
VideoScribe is the best whiteboard animation software for beginners because it has an intuitive user interface and all the features beginners need to edit whiteboard animation videos.
Now that you know the best whiteboard animation software programs, you can get out there and make some engaging content.
Make sure your chosen option lets you create videos in multiple styles, has excellent voice-overs, and is user-friendly, so you have everything you need to wow your audience.
Interested in video creation? You might be interested in these articles!